🇰🇵 #NorthKorea: Top 10 facts about the secretive state ruled by Kim Jong-un
1. North Korea gained independence from Japan 72 years ago today on August 15, 1945.
2. Two years ago today, on August 15, 2015, North Korea created “Pyongyang Time” moving its clocks 30 minutes back making it 8.5 hours ahead of GMT.
3. North Koreans born since the 1950s are on average two inches shorter than South Koreans.
4. The curious hairstyle adopted by North Korean leader Kim Jong-un is officially called “ambitious”.
5. Both men and women in North Korea must choose their haircuts from lists of 18 approved styles for women, or 10 for men).
6. In the 1990s it was compulsory for all schoolteachers to learn to play the accordion which was known as the “people’s instrument”.
7. In North Korea there are around 34,000 statues of Kim Il-sung, leader from 1948-1994.
8. Kimjongilia is a species of begonia bred to adorn the tomb of Kim Jong-Il.
9. In the 2010 World Cup, North Korea scored a goal against Brazil but lost 2-1.
10. North Korea has twice been disqualified for cheating at International Maths Olympiads. It is still unclear whether they deserved to be.